[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 13:01:45 CEST 2021

Is there an OEIS entry for the related sequence restricted to
axis-parallel squares ?  That sequence is Theta(n^(3/2)) (whereas
A051602 is Theta(n^2)), and it seems likely that an asymptotically
optimal configuration is the full grid [1, \sqrt(n)]^2.  Computations
are easier, and a proof that for most values of n, there exist optimal
n-configurations which are grid configurations may be easier in that
case.  A starting article, which gives algorithms to compute the
sequence, is

Kreveld, van, M. J., & Berg, de, M. T. (1989). Finding squares and
rectangles in sets of points. (UniversiteitUtrecht. UU-CS, Department
of Computer Science; Vol. 8910). Utrecht University.
https://pure.tue.nl/ws/portalfiles/portal/4288742/369233.pdf

Any volunteer to compute values and add that entry ?

Benoît