[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Robert Gerbicz robert.gerbicz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 20:57:18 CEST 2021

An improvement in some cases.
If x+y is odd in the n point grid set for k times [where q=(x,y) is in the
set] then the maximal number of isosceles right triangle (IRT) is at most

T<=k*(k-1)+(n-k)*(n-k-1)

For a random point selection or your nice dense circle/close to octagon
methods etc. this means that k~n/2, giving that
T~n^2/2 and for our problem "only" n^2/8 squares (this is much better than
the known 2/3*n^2 and n^2/6 upper bounds). Notice that here the worst case,
giving the smallest bound is the k=n/2 !

This nice T bound follows from the fact that f(P)+f(Q) should be even for
any IRT if P and Q is the hypotenuse and f((x,y))=x+y.
In details:
If p0,p1,p2,p3 are the four points in counter-clockwise order forming 2 IRT,
where [p0,p2] is the hypotenuse. [in the count p0,p2 is the fixed set, and
we see if p1 or p3 is in the set or not].

Then we can easily get that p3=(p0+p2)/2+i*(p2-p0)/2 where p0=(x0,y0);
p2=(x2,y2)

p3=((x0+x2)+i*(y0+y2)+i*(x2-x0+i*(y2-y0)))/2=
=((x0+x2+y0-y2)/2,(x2-x0+y0+y2)/2)

Similarly p1=((x0+x2+y2-y0)/2,(x0-x2+y0+y2)/2)

you may not noticed so far that x0+x2+y0-y2 should be even in p3 [otherwise
it is not even a grid point!], what is the
same in parity as (x0+y0)+(x2+y2), you can say the same for p1.

Let us define f((x,y))=x+y for a given (x,y) point. So if P=p0 and Q=p2 is
the two point set, then for an IRT we need that
f(P)+f(Q) should be even or in other words f(P) and f(Q) has the same
parity, giving at most:

T<=2*(binomial(k,2)+binomial(n-k,2))=k*(k-1)+(n-k)*(n-k-1) IRTs. Completing
the proof.

ps.
Today I had also a wrong proof claiming that
A(n)<=(n-1)^2/2 for (every) IRT counting
hence a(n)<=(n-1)^2/8 for square counting
you could say that it would be an ultra sharp result for smallish n values,
but very likely it is true for larger n also.

Benoît Jubin <benoit.jubin at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. okt. 9.,
Szo, 13:02):