[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Robert Gerbicz robert.gerbicz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 12:58:07 CEST 2021

That dilation doesn't help, because:
In this case q=(2*x,2*y) for all q points from the set then just contract
it to (x,y) and repeat it, this process is finite since
sum(abs(x)+abs(y): (x,y) is in the set)
[what is now really the point's L1 sum]
is a strictly decreasing (positive) function for n>1.
And with these operations the number of IRTs and squares remain the same.

You could ask what happens when f(p) is even for all points in the set,
then f(p)+f(q) is also even for every pair.
This game allows only EVEN and ODD points:
q=(x,y) is EVEN point if x and y is even,
q=(x,y) is ODD if x and y is odd.
The interesting, still easy fact that now an ODD and EVEN point couldn't
form a hypotenuse in an IRT, you would get a grid point, the problem is
that:
f(p1)=x0+y2 and f(p3)=x2+y0 and both of them is odd, and we allowed only
even f() values.

But you simply can't partition the points to EVEN and ODD points in the
induction for IRT counting, the trouble here is that it is possible that
p0,p2 is EVEN, but p1 is ODD, for example p0=(0,0); p2=(2,0) then p3=(1,1)
which is an ODD point.

Benoît Jubin <benoit.jubin at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. okt. 10., V,
0:17):