[seqfan] Re: A question about partitions

bacher Roland.Bacher at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Sun Sep 5 22:37:42 CEST 2021

Here a proof:

Write n=1+2+..+(a-1)+b
with a<=b<=2a.

Then a is maximal number of distinct parts of
a partition of $n$.

Any integer  j in {1,2,..,a}
defines now either a partition of n into consecutive parts or
a partition of n with (largest part -smallest part)=number of parts
(such partitions have at last 2 parts and are obtained by considering
consecutive parts, except for a missing hole).

Indeed, if j divides (n-(1+2+..+j)=n-{j+1\choose 2},
we can consider q+1,q+2,q+3,.., q+j where q is the quotient.

Otherwise, we have a rest r when dividing (n-{j+1\choose 2}) by j
and we add 1 to the r largest parts of
q+1,q+2,.. q+j where qj+r=n-{j+1\choose 2}.

Best wishes, Roland