[seqfan] Re: Counting polyominoes with peculiar symmetry

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:13:43 CEST 2021

Given that this class of polyominoes is the union of two smaller
well-defined classes, it would make sense to see if OEIS has censuses of
each of those classes, and of their intersection.

For polyominoes with a mirror symmetry axis along an orthogonal line of
cells, I get 1,1,1,2,4,6,12,20, which isn't archived either. I counted
these by eye by looking at diagrams in the Wikipedia articles. The hard
part is excluding the orthogonal mirror-symmetric ones whose mirror axes go
*between* lines of cells. Counting these would be interesting too.

The ones with a rotational symmetry around the center of a cell edge all
have an even number of cells, so the odd entries in the sequence would be
0. For polyominoes with 2n cells and this kind of symmetry, I get 1,2,6,19,
which is not enough terms to find out anything for sure, and I don't have
an easy way to winnow through the deconimoes. Somebody with some polyomino
software will need to step in soon.

It feels like there are quite a few unmined possibilities here,
distinguishing symmetries based on where the axes and centers are with
respect to the grid.