[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 01:12:51 CEST 2021

Boy, doesn't it feel like we could prove that a(7) = 3?

A configuration for k squares on n points corresponds to a partition of 4k
into n parts, where each part gives the multiplicity of one of the n
points. For example, I can see two different configurations with 3 squares
on 7 points, one with the partition 3222111 and the other with the
partition 2222211. If a(7)=4, a configuration of 4 squares on 7 points
would have a partition of 16 into 7 parts. It feels like the first thing to
prove is that no point in a 7-point configuration could have a multiplicity
greater than 3.

If we can prove a few constraints on that partition, we might produce a
manageable number of cases for case analysis.

A couple of related sequences: the minimum number of points which are all
the vertices of a set of n squares; the maximum number of squares *sharing
a single vertex* that can be drawn on n points.