[seqfan] Re: Two "dumb" sequences and a question

Tom Duff eigenvectors at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:08:19 CET 2022

I don't think Ali Sada seriously wants to add these sequences. He's trying
to understand an OEIS-driven version of Russell's paradox. The resolution
of the paradox is that not everything you claim is a sequence really is a
valid sequence as far as the OEIS is concerned, just as in ZF, the rules of
set construction preclude the Russell's paradox "set" from being
constructed. OEIS's rules aren't as rigorous as ZF's, because our idea of
what's a submittable sequence is an evolving thing.

The point of Russell's paradox is that a wild-west attitude to set theory
(i.e. that the objects satisfying any predicate at all define a set) is
just asking for trouble.