[seqfan] Re: Binary Complement Sequences

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Mon Dec 26 06:13:13 CET 2022

I can't check right now what Floyd's and Brent's algorithms are, but
one trick I've used in the past is to simultaneously calculate the same
sequence at half the speed: if it cycles, at some point the n'th and
2n'th iterations will give the same value.

Hugo

Tom Duff <eigenvectors at gmail.com> wrote:
:I ran all starting numbers from 0 to 42569 with cycle-checking turned on.
:Every one descended to zero. For the 425720 run, I turned cycle checking
:off, because the program runs much quicker without it (Floyd's algorithm --
:Brent hadn't devised his until long after I was out of school and no longer
:paying attention to that sort of thing, so I hadn't heard of it) and I
:thought the chance of hitting a non-zero cycle was pretty small. In any
:case, I also record the length of the numbers every million iterations and
:I think the resulting graph will likely make it obvious whether there's a
:chance it's fallen into a cycle.
: