[seqfan] Re: Binary Complement Sequences

Arthur O'Dwyer arthur.j.odwyer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:41:22 CET 2022

and Tim Peters wrote:
> Iterating 717657 for 46 steps coincides with 820560's successor [namely,
1732623]

I agree that more exploration isn't as useful as actually trying to *prove*
universal convergence/divergence/cycle (by contradiction or by
construction).

But since people are talking about exploration...

- When we say "N reaches zero," we mean "N reaches anything less than N,"
right? I mean, if you're searching the number line in increasing order, you
know that as soon as N reaches a number you've seen before, you're done
(because all the numbers you've ever seen, converge; and you've already
seen all numbers less than N).
- This relates to Allan's suggestion that "we can catch a lot of
Methuselahs early, by keeping a table of, say, the billionth iterates of
long-lasting seeds."  That's a technique known as rainbow tables
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_table>, and sounds like a good idea
to me.
- Tom, is your code available somewhere to look at and/or modify?

–Arthur