[seqfan] Re: Falling factorials divided by rising factorials

jnthn stdhr jstdhr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:48:30 CET 2022

Dave,

  Thank you for taking time to respond, it's much appreciated.

  I should have posted my sequence here first, as I usually do, in order to
get feedback.  Not doing so was a mistake.

  The reason I got frustrated is because the editing process began with an
editor who was very helpful.  They provided the notation for the falling
factorial (notation that I misinterpreted, as you pointed out), and
provided a name, using that notation, which seemed right to me, and which
did make it clear that there was no overlap in the numerator and
denominator, and was essentially what you have below. Since I knew finding
a proper name would be of highest priority, I did provide an example, for
n=4, in the same format as the one provided in my post.  I also provided
python code, in case someone found that helpful.

  I got the impression that there was nothing too confusing about the
sequence, and that things were going well.  Then things abruptly stopped
going well.  I'm sure my lack of exactly correct terminology, and
misunderstanding of the notation, didn't help matters.

Thank you, again, for the thoughtful response.

Sincerely,

Jonathan