[seqfan] Re: Maximally symmetric "even" polyominoes

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:18:04 CET 2022

Thank you, John Mason, and indirectly, Robert A. Russell.

John, your formula for the proposed A(n) has to be right, because it is
counting the ways a sufficiently symmetric polyomino can be slotted into
the upper right quadrant, so that when replicated into the other three
quadrants it forms a maximally-symmetric polyomino. One with single
diagonal symmetry can be slotted in in two ways, which differ by reflection
around the other diagonal axis, the one about which the given polyomino is
not symmetric. One with double diagonal symmetry (but no orthogonal
symmetry) can also be placed in two ways, which differ by a 90-degree
rotation. Finally, maximally symmetric polyominoes can be placed in a
single way. This gives the coefficients you noted, 2P + 2Q + R. (Also,
you're quite right that I missed one for n=5.)

I won't have time to construct an entry until this weekend at the earliest.
John, feel free to jump in first. I think you should get authorship credit,
given your earlier work.

(Isn't it striking how the even entries lag the odd ones? This is because
an even-order diagonally-symmetric polyomino must have an even number of
cells on the symmetry axis -- that is, it has to have at least 2, while an
odd-order example can have 1. This spares more cells in the odd-order case
for messing around off-axis.)