[seqfan] Re: Is the definition of this sequence correct?

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Mon Jul 4 13:31:29 CEST 2022

Dear Ali et al.,
Now the example is clear and also "the other direction" had been clarified
in the second proposal of name.
This clarification confirms that you can/must actually require a minimum
distance of a(n)+1 (because of the "other direction" you clarified using
the index m2).

Then I would suggest:

a(n) is the least positive integer not already in the sequence such that,
if a(m) = a(n)+1, then |m - n| > a(n).

( a(1)=1 follows from the definition.
If we feel an urge to specify it, I'd suggest to put this to the end so
that the main idea comes as early as possible in the "name", considering
esp. the truncation of names in the "pop-up titles".)

Or maybe better: (all numbers are "already in the sequence"...)

Lexicographically first permutation of the positive integers such that, if
a(m) = a(n)+1, then |m - n| > a(n), for all indices m and n.

(We can use "permutation" as shortcut for "...not occurring earlier"
because any integer will indeed occur, as soon a possible: the condition on
the distance can only "delay" its occurrence a little bit.)

- Maximilian