[seqfan] Re: by Sierpinski and Riesel dual conjectures

Tomasz Ordowski tomaszordowski at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 08:37:33 CEST 2022

  Dear Maximilian!

Thank you for starting the discussion.

I will try to dispel your doubts ...

  By the dual Sierpinski conjecture,
S+2^m is composite for every integer m > 0,
where S is a Sierpinski number.
  So if p is an odd prime and 1 < 2^m < p,
then p-2^m is not a Sierpiński number.

  By the dual Riesel conjecture,
|R-2^m| is composite for every integer m > 0,
where R is a Riesel number.
  So if p is an odd prime,
then p+2^m is not a Riesel number for m > 0
and -p+2^m is not a Riesel number for 2^m > p.

  Assuming that both dual conjectures are true,
I formulate the assumption and thesis of
the following Conditional Theorem.

If p is an odd prime and m is a positive integer,
then there exist (at least two) numbers n
such that |(p-/+2^m)2^n+/-1| is prime
(with the right choice of signs +/-).

Professor Michael Filaseta (in reply to my letter)
understood the meaning of my statement and
appreciated the originality of its wording [sic].
He also explained (on the SeqFan forum)
your further doubts, as you know.

Best,

Thomas
  The Open Problem (T. Ordowski):
are there odd (composite) numbers k such that
both |(k-/+2^m)2^n+/-1| are composite
for every pair of positive integers m,n ?
  By the dual conjectures,
these are odd numbers k such that
both ||k-/+2^m|+/-2^n| are composite for m,n > 0.