[seqfan] Re: 32/25 - a Northern Summer puzzle

wnmyers wnmyers wnmyers at cox.net
Wed Jun 29 02:34:46 CEST 2022

Clearly the asymptote must be more than 5 because you have to divide by 5 at some point and get a number greater than one. The 6-step route gives an upper bound of 6.4, so we can ignore any multiplication or division by 7 or more. That means all bounds after that would be of the form 2^a*3^b*5^c.

steps  bound
4      8=2^3
6      6.4=2^5*5^-1
12     5.689=2^8*3^-2*5^-1
26     5.619=2^12*3^-6
76     5.605=2^-12*3^15*5^-4

I'm pretty sure the bound can't go any lower than 5.346=2^28*3^-22*5^4.