[seqfan] Re: Two "dumb" sequences and a question

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:27:37 CET 2022

You don't have to go that far to create a sequence that is "paradoxical" in
this sense. Suppose we try to add to OEIS a sequence -- say, A400000 --
whose title is "List of nonnegative integers not included in A400000", or
more simply, "Complement of A400000". Now we can't decide whether *any *integer
belongs there. For example, should 17 go in? If the answer is yes, then it
shouldn't, and if the answer is no, then it should.

I think for the moment all we have to say is that there is a kind of
noxious self-reference that makes a sequence unsuitable for inclusion in
OEIS, and doing any kind of math with sequence numbers is a warning sign of
this.

Under that approach, the answer to Ali's actual question is, "This question
won't arise, because that kind of sequence is not suitable for inclusion in
OEIS."