[seqfan] Re: Stepping stones puzzle, A337663

Robert Gerbicz robert.gerbicz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 01:54:48 CEST 2022

OK, but it was not my intention to give a very strict proof with all
computed constants, just to show the ideas. Say, really not proved that it
is giving n=934*t+528, just calculated it from two t values, assuming that
n is linear in t.

For the input t number: p=156t+97 and the given construction will show that
a(934*t+528)>=5616*t+3164

So first use the basic construction using p ones (house/tree construction),
an additional one to place down 6p,6p+1,6p+2. Really don't know why we
needed these 3 extra numbers.
What I have not said, but it is clear from the generated construction that
the (horizontal) main branches contain an equal number of ones, that is
H=13. This also means that 6H numbers (bigger than 1) are on each main
branch. And the distance of these consecutive main branches is also
constant, 6*H/3=26.

Then the first missing number is 6p+3, so the first main branch starts at
6p+3.

The k-th main branch starts at 6p+78k+3. Easily:
A=12p+156k+84, B=A+2, W=24p+312k+169.

If for k=k' at W we would see A+1=W then we have 3 consecutive numbers
A,W,B.
A+1=W gives that:
12*p+156*k+84+1=24*p+312*k'+169
solving for k' gives k'=(-12*p+156*k-84)/312

it turns out that if for example p=97 mod 156 and k is even then k' is an
integer.
For A,W,B it is not used additional ones, so for each such triple saving a
half one over the classical 6m construction, if we can place down linear
number of triplets, and that is the case, notice that (roughly):

12p<A,B<36p and 24p<W<72p
So there will be a solution if 24p<A,B,W<36p, it means const*p=const*n
saved ones.

Why we need the ladder construction, see for example on the construction
you have [10,19] placed, and 33,34,35 and 51 52 53 is already placed:

10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

You would need to place [36,50] (using also the [10,19] numbers), but that
is 15 consecutive numbers and we can place only 6m numbers with m ones, or
if we'd lost a half one, but then we would be again at level on the 6m
construction. The solution is to use that ladder that contains numbers from
2 intervals, and not from one interval.

The vertical branches are periodic with 8 consecutive horizontal main
branches if you're placing the W, the heights are in the large W array.
Before that the period is 1 (and the heights are in the U array), so a much
easier form, since there is no missing triplet.

ps. As you can see we won't use all possible W numbers, some of them are
missing, the reason is that in some cases it would give 3 consecutive
numbers that we simply can't handle that case even with a ladder.

Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. okt. 6., Cs,
6:41):