[seqfan] Re: talk announcement: Proving properties of OEIS sequences with Walnut

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Mon Oct 24 14:16:00 CEST 2022

I can imagine such output being of value - as an option of course,
not by default.

The opportunity to check a proof seems critical to me. The easier
it is to check, the greater the confidence we can have in the proof.

Hugo

Jeffrey Shallit <shallit at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
:Just as a follow-up:  a typical Walnut query consists of a parsable
:logical formula, for example
:something like
:
:For all x there exists y such that f(x,y) holds.
:
:But in Walnut it is easy to assert
:
:1.  f(x,y) holds
:2.  there exists y such that f(x,y) holds
:3.  For all x there exists y such that f(x,y) holds.
:
:And get automata corresponding to each of these.   So Walnut already has
:the capability to produce the
:automata for individual parts of any expression and these could be
:considered a certificate
:and each part could then easily be individually checked by another
:program, if one wanted.
:(But the other program would essentially just be reproducing the
:calculations of Walnut!)
:
: