[seqfan] Re: eulerian orientations of hypercube graphs

Zach DeStefano zachdestefano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 19:58:28 CEST 2022

Hugo,

Your indistinguishability comment gave me an idea to potentially make this
problem tractable (for d = 6).

The hypercube G of dimension d can be decomposed into a pair of
hypercubes H1 and H2, each of dimension d - 1. The absolute difference
between the in-degree and out-degree of a vertex in one of these smaller
hypercubes must be 1.

By a parity argument you can show that exactly 1/2 of these vertices need
to have a higher in-degree than out-degree and vice versa. There are
nCr(2^(d - 1), 2^(d - 2)) ways to choose these vertices.

For any choice of 2^(d - 2) vertices from H1 to have higher in-degree than
out-degree, this constrains the remaining vertices in H1, the edges going
from H1 to H2, and the in-degree - out-degree of all vertices in H2.

If, instead of classifying cube faces, we have a nice way to count the
number of ways to select edges to satisfy in-degree/out-degree constraints
(there are only nCr(2^(d - 1),2^(d - 2)) / 2 unique classes to consider
here), then we have a nice tractable way of counting total Eulerian
orientations.

For each choice of 2^(d - 2) vertices from H1 (I suspect we can reduce the
number of cases to consider here using symmetry), we know exactly how many
ways there are to choose edges to satisfy H1 and thus how many ways there
are to satisfy H2 (the number of ways to pick edges to satisfy H1 is the
same as the number of ways to pick edges to satisfy H2).

Ignoring symmetries, the computation just needs to be:

sum = 0
for all subsets of 2^(d - 2) from H1:
  sum += (number of ways to choose edges so our degree constraints are
met)^2

For d = 6, there are 300,540,195 subsets of vertices to consider (so we are
potentially already in tractible territory given an efficient method to
determine the number of ways to choose edges for each subset), though I
believe we can use additional symmetries to reduce this by a large factor.

- Zach