[seqfan] Re: Re Another Split & Multiply sequence from Eric A.

Zach DeStefano zachdestefano at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 17:05:48 CEST 2023

To generate values in A361340 I also used a similar binary encoding. To
answer your ADC questions about which values are achievable, it empirically
seems like the base of 2 is the only one that generates all ADCs (ignoring
0). For base 10, (in the window that I checked), we only see 121 of the
1023 unique ADCs produced. 34119 is the last number (at least up to 2^28)
which produces a new ADC.

For base 3, the only ADC not produced is 5. I suspect for a small case like
this, it will be easy to prove that such an ADC is impossible, but for
larger bases with more missing ADCs, this becomes much trickier.

Assuming there are no large ADC surprises, the sequence of the number of
unique ADCs for each base (starting with 2) is: 3, 6, 10, 29, 24, 84, 91,
179, 121, 620, 284...

One interesting observation here is that there is an inverse relationship
between the sizes of the terms of A361340 and this sequence. That is to
say, prime bases appear to cover relatively more ADCs and reach the
maximal ADC the fastest while bases with many prime factors cover very few
ADCs and take the longest to reach the maximal ADC.

I don't know if this sequence is particularly interesting or useful beyond
that however.

- Zach