[seqfan] Re: Number of n x n {-1, 1}-matrices which have only eigenvalues with strictly negative real part.

Alex Meiburg timeroot.alex at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 16:20:42 CEST 2023

If you negate each element, you negate each eigenvalue, so then you're
looking for strictly positive eigenvalues. That seems a bit more natural to
count.

If the matrix were symmetric, then there's the rich theory of PSD matrices.
Sylvester's criterion, for instance, would be a powerful way to search
quickly by computer. But the theory falls apart quickly when the matrices
aren't symmetric. And what attention there is, is about matrices with xMx >
0, not positive real parts of eigenvalues (two conditions which are
equivalent only if the matrix is symmetric).