[seqfan] Re: Number of n x n {-1, 1}-matrices which have only eigenvalues with strictly negative real part.

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 15 07:28:07 CEST 2023

To an engineer, negative real parts are more natural since such matrices
are called "stable" in control theory and are rather important. That is,
without the {-1,+1} restriction.

As far as exhaustive search goes, note that the eigenvalues are unchanged
by simultaneous equal row and column permutation, which cuts the cases
by almost n!.  Also, multiplying some subset of the rows by -1 then the
same subset of the colums by -1 retains the eigenvalues. This gives another
factor of about 2^{n-1}.   It becomes a search over switching classes of
digraphs with loops.  n=6 is easy, n=7 is moderate, n=8 is plausible but
quite difficult.  The real problem is how to know in advance for most of
the matrices that they can't work so as to preemptively cut out most of
the search.

Brendan.