[seqfan] Re: Squares with even-positioned digits matching the original number

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 05:46:47 CET 2023

FYI, I found only 7 solutions with no more than 18 decimal digits, but all
save one are trivial variants of the one you already found:

9678692507732
96786925077320
967869250773200
9678692507732000
96786925077320000
967869250773200000
899552419664035532  NEW ONE

I'm not certain there aren't others < 10^18 - the code was mildly clever to
avoid needing to check every number, and "clever" can hide errors.

Short course: can any solution end with, say, 27? No: modulo 100, if n ends
with 27, n^2 ends with 29. So n can't be a solution: throw away the
trailing 9 in 29, showing that n must end with 2. But n ends with 7.

In this way, longer and longer feasible suffixes are constructed, tacking
on a digit "on the left", one at a time.

This saves an enormous amount of futile checking, but by the time all
18-digit feasible suffixes were constructed, there were over 500 million in
play. At that point I was running out of RAM.

The original example you found was discovered in well under 10 seconds.