[seqfan] Re: Squares with even-positioned digits matching the original number

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 06:59:46 CET 2023

There's more exploitable mathematical structure here than I realized at
first. This gives me increasing confidence that the "shortcut"
feasible-suffix approach isn't missing anything.

Key: it turns out that, for a feasible suffix F with an even number k of
digits (k >= 2), and not ending with 0, F can always be extended to a k+2
digit feasible suffix. In fact, that can always be done in either 8 or 12
different ways. No trial-and-error is needed - the new digit pairs are
found by solving linear equations modulo 100, and goes fast

So my current code starts with the 2-digit feasible suffixes (there are
only 4: 28, 32, 78, and 82), and builds those up "on the left" 2 digits at
a time (either or both of which may be 0).

Since the average of 8 and 12 is 10, it's reasonable to expect that these
give rise to about 4*10 = 40 4-digit feasible suffixes. In fact there are
36.

Then I expect about 36*10 = 360 6-digit ones. In fact there are 368. And so
on.

This wholly explains the empirical "grows kinda like the square root of
10^k" observation.

A surprise: there is no pruning with an even number of digits. Every branch
of that tree grows without bound, with a branching factor of 8 or 12 at
each node. Does every branch eventually reach a full solution? Empirical
evidence says "sure seems unlikely!", but no clue how to prove it either
way.

What about solutions with an odd number of digits? They come "for free", as
even-length suffix solutions that happen to have a leading 0 digit.

I'm running code through 24 digits now. It's coded in Python, so will take
a few days to complete (although, under PyPy, it's generating about a
million feasible suffixes, and also checking to see whether they're full
solutions, per second).