[seqfan] OEIS Foundation Seeks to Raise $3M Endowment to Fund Full-Time Managing Editor

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:39:20 CET 2023

Announcement: The OEIS is fortunate to have about 170 volunteer
editors, of which approximately 40 are designated as editors in chief.
They work diligently to deal with submissions of more than 500
potential new sequences and amendments each week, but the number of
such submissions in the queue, awaiting review from the volunteer
editors, continues to grow. In order to maintain the OEIS’s
hard-earned reputation for rigorous peer review, and to oversee,
support, and supervise the volunteer editors, it has become clear that
a full-time managing editor needs to be recruited.

The Board of Trustees of the OEIS Foundation resolved on January 15,
2023, to hire a full-time managing editor, and to endeavor to raise an
endowment of $3 million for this purpose.

Our official appeal for funds is here: https://oeisf.org/fund-2023-02-02.pdf

For background, see my recent article: "`A Handbook of Integer
Sequences' Fifty Years Later" (http://neilsloane.com/doc/HIS50.pdf;
also http://arxiv.org/abs/2301.03149, Jan 16 2023, although the
version on my home page is more up-to-date)

The OEIS has been called the most useful math site on the web, it
contains 360,000 entries, gets a million hits a day, and has been
cited 10,000 times. See https://oeis.org/wiki/Quotes for the best
quotes from the past 50 years.

This will be a big step for us, but in the end it should make our
lives easier, less stressful, and more productive. Let me know if you
have any suggestions, especially in regard to the fundraising. As
always I will keep my homepage neilsloane.com up-to-date (did you see
the new Yellowstone Permutation video?).

Best regards
Neil

Neil J. A. Sloane, Chairman, OEIS Foundation.
Also Visiting Scientist, Math. Dept., Rutgers University,
Email: njasloane at gmail.com