[seqfan] OEIS changed from CC-BY-NC-3.0 to CC-BY-SA-4.0

Russ Cox rsc at swtch.com
Fri Feb 24 19:49:03 CET 2023

Hi all,

Last month the OEIS Foundation Board of Trustees voted to change the
license on the OEIS from CC-BY-NC-3.0
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/> to CC-BY-SA-4.0
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/>. Both licenses require
attribution when parts of the OEIS are reproduced. The old license
prohibited commercial use, which is fairly broad and can in some cases
exclude non-revenue-generating use by commercial companies. The new license
allows any use, commercial or non-commercial, provided that the result is
distributed under the same conditions ("share-alike"). The new license is
the same license used by Wikipedia (well, they use an older version
CC-BY-SA-3.0) and at least parts of zbMath Open. Our hope is that this
change makes the OEIS more open and more widely available for research
purposes while still maintaining the integrity and identity of the OEIS.

I have just updated the web site to list the new license. In addition to
changing the license, I have arranged to publish the full sequence data as
a Git repository on GitHub <https://github.com/oeis/oeisdata>, to make it
easy to download and to keep in sync incrementally. The new page
https://oeis.org/wiki/Download documents the three options for downloading
sequence data.

If you have any trouble accessing any of this, please let me know.

Best,
Russ