[seqfan] Re: A187781 - Number of noncongruent polygonal regions in a regular n-gon with all diagonals drawn

Chris Scussel scussel at kwom.com
Sat Jun 10 19:02:47 CEST 2023

>At OEIS there is a "dead" keyword, perhaps useful for preserving
>backwards compatibility? Will A187781 be marked dead or bug fixed?

Brad, thank you again for your analysis of a(12) from A187781.
Not only does it confirm the 22 vs. 21 discrepancy that I claim,
it also supports my claim that there is a second sequence,
where instead of "noncongruent regions" we count classes of
regions equivalent under roto-reflection.  I claim such a redefinition
makes the current terms of A187781 correct. I think it's appropriate
to create a new sequence for the "noncongruent regions" definition.
I have the terms up to n=60 for both. I also have the terms for a
possible third sequence for "nonsimilar regions", though I'm not
sure if that one is interesting enough to warrant inclusion in OEIS.

It was very helpful to have your review of the situation with a(12).
Amusingly, the step-by-step description was quite similar how my
purpose-written C program works, though of course my program
is much less sophisticated.

I will attempt to enact the above changes to OEIS.

Thanks and kind regards,

Chris