[seqfan] Re: Nice nontrivial integer sequence

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Sun Mar 12 05:35:26 CET 2023

On Sat, Mar 11, 2023, 22:52 Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> The page for A360477
>
>     https://oeis.org/A360447
>
> contains
>
>     FORMULA a(n) = a(n-1) + a(n+1) if a(n+1) < a(n)
>
> I expect "a formula" to show a way to compute a(n), but that's not what
> this is.

Not always. Formulas comprise inequalities, asymptotic  behavior, and other
properties.

It appears to be a claim about 3 consecutive terms in some cases, but it's
> not a true claim.

Yes you are right. The formula should have been deleted earlier. I have
done it now.

I think the first place it fails is at n=18:
>  n  a(n)
> 17 59586
> 18 33733
> 19  7880

Then a(19) < a(18), but a(18) isn't anywhere near a(17) + a(19).

I agree.

-Maximilian