[seqfan] Re: Nice nontrivial integer sequence

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 12:15:32 CET 2023

  Christian Sievers (Mon, Mar 13, 2023):
<< Do we know that each position eventually gets stable?
In other words: are we sure we have a well defined infinite series? >>

  There are at least four distinct issues conflated here, depending on the
exact interpretation of the term `each position'; however the answer to all
of them appears currently to be negative.

  Immediately, if there exist natural  k  and  m > k, and some provisional
finite portion of sequence  a(n)  satisfying NNSI construction rules for
0 <= n <= m  such that for all  i,j <= k  there holds  a(i)+a(j) <= m ,
then the sequence _is_ well-defined for  0 <= n <= k .

  But that is all: AFAIK, it seems entirely possible that the NNSI sequence
is
actually finite, and there exists some  k  for which there is _no_ such  m
.
The behaviour of provisional member  a(n) = 2  during current computations
already suggests that most values actually `escape' to  n = oo ; without
some
constructive bounds on (final) values of  a(n) , there seems no reason to
rule
out that, from some index  m  onwards, _all_ values might do so.

  It is tempting to speculate concerning the eventual fate of such
escapers.
For instance 2 could well be a member of some distinct, bi-directional
infinite
sequence commencing
    ..., 13, 5, 2, 6, 15, ...
from which other values (say  3 ?) in turn escape; indeed, AFAIK there
might
even be finite values which escape infinitely often from an infinitely
valent
tree of similar sequences!

Fred Lunnon