[seqfan] Re: Verifying sequence pertaining to Roman numerals and divisors

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Fri Mar 24 23:53:35 CET 2023

One possible issue is that there isn't a unique "Roman numeral
representation" through history.

If I remember correctly, for example, 4 was originally represented as
IIII, and only later as IV. And in mediaeval times most of the alphabet
was coopted for specialized uses.

So this would probably need somehow to specify the particular form
that was being considered.

(I haven't checked whether there are existing sequences with this problem.)

Hugo

Alonso Del Arte <alonso.delarte at gmail.com> wrote:
:Is this correct?
:
:Numbers *n* such that the Roman numeral representation has at least
:one nontrivial divisor of *n* as a substring
:
:8, 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, etc.
:
:I've bolded some of the characters, but it may or may not go through:
:
:V*II*I, X*II*, X*V*, XV*II*I, *X*X, XX*II*, XX*IV*, XX*V*, etc.
:
:Not getting OEIS results, but I haven't tried variations of this yet.
:
:Al
:
:--