[seqfan] Re: Large English integer names: Mathematica vs. num2words

Arthur O'Dwyer arthur.j.odwyer at gmail.com
Mon May 1 18:09:07 CEST 2023

FYI, I just submitted a pull request against Python `num2words` that
adjusts all of the number names as requested in
https://github.com/savoirfairelinux/num2words/issues/514
https://github.com/savoirfairelinux/num2words/pull/517
Maybe someone with Mathematica would volunteer to double-check that all the
names up to 10^300 *now* match Mathematica's names.

For the record, I 100% agree with Allan Wechsler that there is no "truth"
to be found here; this is a political/cultural issue, not a question of
"finding out" the true names of these numbers (because numbers do not,
*really*, have names: we just invent names for them as needed based on our
various cultures).  Which is why all these OEIS sequences involving "number
of letters in the name of..." are non-mathematical and have a relatively
short shelf life (measured in decades, at best). Besides the
million/milliard issue, there's even more basic disagreements among
cultures on what the most appropriate names are ("one hundred million"
versus "ten crore"), or even how to count the letters ("one hundred" versus
"一百").

Cheers,
Arthur