[seqfan] Re: Survey of the programming languages in the OEIS

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:55:18 CEST 2023

  Fascinating reading!
I never heard of (at least) half of these lingos, after 60 years in
programming ...

  A surprise to me was to find Magma (which I have used extensively) coming
in at #4 .  It is heartening to find so many projects by authors who have
made
the effort to overcome the steepish learning curve presented by its strong
typing.  It is the only CAS I have encountered in which any program, once
persuaded to compile, can reasonably be expected immediately to run both
successfully and more quickly and compactly than competiing implementations
--- or should one occasionally fail to do so, to generate a prompt and
constructive
response from a highly competent support team.

  "gap with yags" sounds like something from the menu outside a drive-thru'
take-away in the middle of a Congo rainforest, as a side-dish for "yowl
baked in gung".

WFL