[seqfan] Re: This sequence proves the Collatz Conjecture

Alex Meiburg timeroot.alex at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 18:19:34 CEST 2024

Dear Ali,

I've recently become quite engrossed with Lean:
https://leanprover-community.github.io/
Lean is a proof assistant that produces formally verified proofs. If you
submit a proof of the Collatz conjecture
which Lean correctly verifies (a check anyone could run in a matter of ~one
minute, by downloading and
"running" your proof), then I think essentially any mathematician would
trust it.

If you believe that your proof is correct, I strongly encourage you to try
formalizing it in this way.
Although it may not be the fastest way to write up a proof (it essentially
requires learning a new programming
language), it may well be the fastest way to *convince* anyone that your
proof is correct. This is not a fault
of you or your proof; view it as a product of the fact that there are many,
many, many wrong proofs of
the Collatz conjecture, which essentially means (by way of sad necessity)
that many mathematicians are
unwilling to read any proof that isn't written by someone who is already a
very well established
mathematician. It's reasonable to call this ridiculous and unfair. I hope
that you also understand that
it is necessary, given the volume of claims.

But if you successfully formalize it in Lean, you will definitely get the
attention of many people quickly!
Even Terence Tao(!) has recently begun using Lean for his work -- indeed,
he is quite social on the Lean
chat communities and everyone learns from each other.

And whether your proof turns out to be correct or not, I personally believe
that learning Lean gives one
a great deal of practice in formal mathematical reasoning. I believe it has
turned me into a better
mathematician myself, forcing myself to think through steps more carefully
and what I really mean.

-- Alexander Meiburg