[seqfan] Re: Need help in understanding a combstruct specification in sequence A052886.

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 12:06:30 CET 2024

On Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 8:12 PM Olivier Gerard <olivier.gerard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> It is a pity I did not add a few comments to A052886 and A052895 many many
> years ago.
>
> One way to see A052886 is to start from ordered partitions of [n], better
> known as Fubini numbers, 1,3,13, 75,541,4683, ...
> You just add the possible parenthesizing grouping the subsets.  Here is a
> table decomposing A052886 by number of subsets
>
> 1
> 1 2
> 1 6 12
> 1 14 72 120
> 1 30 300 1200 1680
> 1 62 1080 7800 25200 30240
>
> and here is a table decomposing Fubini numbers by number of subsets
> A019538
> 1
> 1 2
> 1 6 6
> 1 14 36 24
> 1 30 150 240 120
> 1 62 540 1560 1800 720
>

> Illustration for n=3.
>
> There are 5 subset decompositions of  the set [3]  (Stirling numbers of the
> second kind)
>
> k=1
> {1,2,3}
>
> k=2
> {1} {2,3}
>
> {2} {1,3}
>
> {3} {1,2}
>
> k=3
> {1} {2} {3}
>
> There are 1*1 + 2 * 3 + 6 * 1 = 13 possible orderings of the subsets
> (Fubini numbers)
>
> {1,2,3}
>
> {1} {2,3}
> {2,3} {1}
> {2} {1,3}
> {1,3} {2}
> {3} {1,2}
> {1,2} {3}
>
> {1} {2} {3}
> {2} {1} {3}
> {3} {2} {1}
> {1} {3} {2}
> {2} {3} {1}
> {3} {1} {2}
>
> There are Catalan(k-1) parenthesizing for each ordered partition of k sets
> giving 1*1 + 1*6 + 2*6 = 19 cases.  (You also think of them of catalan
> trees of an ordered list of k subsets of the n first integers )
>
> ({1,2,3})
>
> ({1} {2,3})
> ({2,3} {1})
> ({2} {1,3})
> ({1,3} {2})
> ({3} {1,2})
> ({1,2} {3})
>
> (({1} {2}) {3})
> (({2} {1}) {3})
> (({3} {2}) {1})
> (({1} {3}) {2})
> (({2} {3}) {1})
> (({3} {1}) {2})
>
> ({1} ({2} {3})
> ({2} ({1} {3})
> ({3} ({2} {1})
> ({1} ({3} {2})
> ({2} ({3} {1})
> ({3} ({1} {2})
>

> Hope it helps.  It is just one out of many combinatorial interpretations of

Thanks a lot, Olivier!

The above explanation made it clear to me that A277120, i.e., "Number of
branching factorizations of n", indeed gives A052886(n), when applied to a
product of n distinct primes. I hope you have time to add your explanation
to A052886 and A052895.

There is still an open question concerning A277120 (see the pending edits):
Does it obtain a unique value for each distinct prime signature?, which
question boils down to whether the sequences A366377 and A366884 (A277120
applied to representatives of prime signatures) are injective or not?
The problem could be also represented as a problem concerning partitions,
as each term in A025487 naturally maps to one.

Moreover, both A052886 and A366884 show an interesting distribution of the
last decimal digits. Apparently, no terms ending with 5's in the former,
while in the latter, there are a lots of them.

Sequence A277130 ("Number of planar branching factorizations of n") seems
to be in many respects similar to A277120. There the counterpart of A052886
is A319122 ("Number of phylogenetic plane trees on n labels").

Best regards,

Antti