[seqfan] Re: A new sequence counting the number of distinct languages recognized by DFAs

brad klee bradklee at proton.me
Mon Jul 22 20:52:24 CEST 2024

> I would appreciate it if someone could independently check my
> values (maybe some existing library related to DFAs could be used).

Arthur makes a good point--It would be easier to help if you
could explain more the details of your schema and algorithms.

Is it essentially just a problem of enumerating labeled graphs
and checking equivalences? If yes, can you specify exactly what
the atoms and rules are for building the labeled graphs?

For example, we can see that what Arthur says about the n=1 case
is true just by noting that there is only one transition graph
with all edges tied down, thus leaving only one degree of freedom,
whether the start node is encircled as accepting or not.

It sounds like what you've done is to allow free-floating edges
that are assumed as pointing to rejections? Or perhaps instead
of free-floating edges, you've omitted them entirely?

Meanwhile, it's nice for QA purposes if you can say things like
"every state has exactly two outputs, every edge is between one
or two states".

Another thing that could possibly help... Do you have example
drawings of the state transition diagrams at least in the
smallest n=1 case? It would also be helpful to see examples
when two (or more) drawings recognize the same language.

Even if someone here is an expert in this field, you still
might need to start by over-explaining yourself. This is
actually a graphical subject area, so you're potentially
missing an audience if you don't draw any diagrams.

I'm not an expert, but given more details, it's potentially of
interest for me to verify a few terms at least. We've done
some things recently about making DFAs from FSMs, and your
question seems relevant to that.

Thanks,

--Brad