[seqfan] Re: A new sequence counting the number of distinct languages recognized by DFAs

brad klee bradklee at proton.me
Wed Jul 24 18:37:27 CEST 2024

> I hope it may help understanding my idea. Again, I suggest focusing
> initially on the "equivalent DFAs" part rather on the choosing such or
> such definition of the DFAs, since the most interesting part of the
> compuation is there IMHO.

Madhusudan Parthasarathy at University of Illinois has some nice
teaching materials online:

https://courses.grainger.illinois.edu/cs373/sp2010/lectures/

Working from a few of these lectures, I calculated three terms
in agreement with Thomas, and made notes here:

https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/3233849

Arthur independently agreed about up to four terms (of the
proposed, slower growing sequence with no floating edges),
so I think the candidate now has good quality assurance.

Equivalence calculations are indeed interesting, and there's
potentially more optimization to do using standard algorithms.

What's more interesting to me as a result of this recent
experiment is how many different equivalent regex's can
describe the same DFA-produced regular language.

In the continuation, I'm curious about algorithms that
compare and reduce regex over finite alphabets. Would
be nice to know more about that...

Cheers,

--Brad