[seqfan] Re: Subject: Need help computing a number

sven-h.simon at gmx.de sven-h.simon at gmx.de
Wed Jul 31 11:22:33 CEST 2024

Hello together,
as far I know the prime 104917*2^340181 was found in attempt to find the smallest Riesel number in the same to find the smallest Sierpinski number. These numbers will not be prime for any exponent m (104917*2^m-1 in the case of Riesel, 2^m+1 for Sierpinski, who had that idea first as far I know.). So there was a project like Mersenne prime search (named "17 or bust" or so for Sierpinski numbers) to find a prime number and it was sufficient to find any prime number. But technically they searched the exponents from smallest to bigger ones and that was done for a lot of years. They started with 17 numbers and as far I know there are only about 5 remaining were the did not find a prime yet. So there is no proof, but it is very likely that  104917*2^340181 is the smallest prime. Perhaps someone involved in the project has more details, unfortunately the Mersenne forum is behind a wall now, you have to register.

Sven