[seqfan] Re: A371164 and A106309

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Mon Mar 25 04:31:05 CET 2024

Yes indeed, that works.  Let M be the companion matrix of the polynomial:

    [ 0 0 0 0 1 ]
    [ 1 0 0 0 1 ]
M = [ 0 1 0 0 1 ]
    [ 0 0 1 0 1 ]
    [ 0 0 0 1 1 ]

Thus the iteration corresponds to

[ x(i+1), ... , x(i+5)] = [x(i), ..., x(i+4)] M mod p

We can check directly that M^2129 == I mod p, so every initial condition
[x(1), ..., x(5)] produces an orbit that is periodic with period 2129.
Any smaller minimal period would have to divide 2129, but 2129 is prime,
so the only other possibility is 1, and 1 is not an eigenvalue of M mod p.

This indeed 4259 would satisfy the original definition of A106309 despite
the polynomial not being irreducible mod 4259.

Cheers,
Robert