[seqfan] Re: Style sheet lacks much of anything on "vertical bar"

Tom Duff eigenvectors at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 16:45:50 CET 2024

The Sum, Product, etc. notation is borrowed from TeX/LaTeX. the Underscore
_ indicates that the following text (marked {...}) is to be rendered
underneath the main Sum, Product, etc. symbol. So for card/Cardinal, the
following underscore would be superfluous/wrong.

BTW, TeX uses the underscore _ because in an early version of ASCII used at
Stanford, where TeX was written, the character was rendered as a
downward-pointing arrow. Likewise, the caret ^ used in TeX for
superscripts, was an upward-pointing arrow. (My memory is hazy and
inconsistent, I simultaneously remember _ being rendered as a
right-pointing arrow, and used as an assignment operator in early Stanford
programming languages.)

Also, BTW, in TeX/LaTeX, log_10(...) would be rendered with a subscript 1,
the 0 following "log" not subscripted. To get a subscript 10, you would
have to type log_{10}. Obviously, OEIS usage does not follow TeX/LaTeX
slavishly. Maybe it should, at least as an option -- TeX notation is
well-known to math & computer science academics, and facilities for
rendering it "properly" on web pages are widely available -- MathJax is the
best-known implementation.