[seqfan] Re: New "metaperfect" number for A068978

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Sat Mar 30 00:13:58 CET 2024

I think this is a lot more context-dependent than to justify a blanket ban.

I guess the distinction I'd draw is how "b-file-like" the a-file is:
the only times I've ever used a-files is because the data doesn't _quite_
fit the b-file format, usually because there's an unknown value.
If someone has new information to add to such a file, I'd expect them do so
in a way that preserves the existing information, and I would hope that
editors verify such changes the same as they would for primary data lines
of a sequence, or for an updated b-file.

In that context I'd see no problem with an updated a-file replacing the
previous one. Similarly if someone discovered errors in an existing
a-file.

Hugo

"M. F. Hasler" <oeis at hasler.fr> wrote:
:I don't think that we should edit contents of a-files submitted by someone
:else. We wouldn't take a PDF or image file uploaded in the very same way
:and modify it to add information, so why only for .txt files?
:
:I think there are many example of a similar situation where the new
:contributor would (or has) rather upload(ed) a new file, in addition to the
:existing one. (With name and date.) (And in cases where just one new value
:is found, there's often a comment like "(The list lacks ... and maybe other
:values. - ~~~~)" right next to the link.
:
:Especially if not only lines are added but indexing is changed or
:suppressed. As others mentioned, it would make it impossible to refer to
:"Yamanouchi's fourth value" or the like, and it might be desirable and
:useful to do this.
:
:
:- Maximilian