Apology; unsubscribe

David W. Wilson wilson at cabletron.com
Thu Jan 13 17:33:37 CET 2000

By way of apology:  A couple of days ago, I unintentionally posted a
private communication from Michael Somos to math-fun.  Mr. Somos was
understandably upset with me for having done this, and I have
apologized to him privately, but I feel I owe him a pubic apology.

By way of justification:  None.  What I did was the equivalent of
reading a private letter at a public gathering.  I can only hope that
no harm was done.  I fully realize that, in similar circustances, my
lack of judgment might have cost him a personal relationship, a job, or
years of research.

By way of explanation:  I am not sure exactly how I it happened.  I had
several composition windows going simultaneously on my screen, and I
may have addressed Mr. Somos's message to math-fun thinking it was
another message.  It is also possible that I assumed Mr. Somos original
message was copied to math-fun, and having hit "Reply" instead of
retrospect and very dangerous habit to fall into.

By way of warning:  My sincere advice is to discipline yourself in the
use of e-tools better than I have.  These tools greatly extend our
capabilities, but they also greatly magnify the potential consequences
of sloppy habits.  Also, bear in mind that nothing sent over the net is
truly private.

By way of remediation:  This incident provides me with an opportune
time to implement a decision I have avoided for too long now.  Since I
cannot in all honesty promise that I will never make this same mistake
again, it seems prudent that I should limit my posts to public forums.
Furthermore, I have recently become engaged in some very promising
business activities whose success will require a good deal of focus on
my part, and although I derive a great deal of pleasure from math-fun
and seqfan, the bottom line is that they count as distractions from
these activities.

Therefore, it is with some reluctance that I request to be removed from
the math-fun and seqfan mailing lists.

My past contributions to math-fun and seqfan have largely consisted of
work on EIS sequences.  It was because of this work that Neil Sloane
originally invited me to join math-fun, for which I heartily thank
him.  I plan to continue to work (sporadically) on the EIS in the
background, and I am always available at wilson at ctron.com for help with
thorny sequence computations (if they solve the Riemann hypothesis, I
would appreciate hearing about that too).

Best Regards to All,

Dave Wilson

Neil: I am going to request that you remove explicit references to my
name and e-mail address from the EIS, and replace them with "dww".  I
would like to limit incoming mail coming through EIS links.  My name
has become associated with many sequences by way of computation, but
this does not make me a expert on those sequences.