rejected sequences

Erich Friedman efriedma at stetson.edu
Wed May 3 02:00:07 CEST 2000

seqfans

i've enjoyed the short debate (and overwhelming support) of neil's
rejection of some recent sequences.  as the author of many a sequence in
the database, i've been surprised for some time at the "junk" that makes it
into the database (and i'm including many of my own sequences in this
statement).

sometime in the last few years there has been an explosion of sequences,
many of the recreational in nature.  in my opinion, the number of useless
(but perhaps amusing) sequences has already lowered the value of the
database, both for researchers and educational use.  anyone who searches on
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 will have to agree.

i, too, would like to see more rigorous standards applied to sequence
acceptance.  where to "draw the line" seems to be up to neil, as this is
his baby.  in fact, maybe someone should go through and excise some of the
"junk" already there...

erich friedman
http://www.stetson.edu/~efriedma