EIS Breakers

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at oakland.edu
Fri Jul 27 16:10:34 CEST 2001

¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤

Attributions,
In Alphabetical Order:

Jon Awbrey        (JA)
Labos Elemer      (LE)
Jud McCranie      (JM)
Ed Pegg Jr        (EP)
Jennifer Roberson (JR)
N.J.A. Sloane     (NJAS)

Many bags look alike --
Please check your tags!

Further commas appended --
Novelty is unindentional.

NJAS: | If your sequence was not in the database and is interesting,
      | please send it to me, and I will (probably) add it!
      | Reasons for sending in your sequence:
      |
      | This stakes your claim to it
      | Your name is immortalized
      | The next person who stumbles across it will be grateful to you
      |
      | http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/Submit.html

LE: A remark which was or still it is hidden somewhere
    in OEIS web pages promizes to contributors that
    they might become immortal if sending sequences
    to EIS ... Already in the last century I realized:
    I am not immortal, but I continued sending sequences.

JM: I expect that the sequence database will be used long after we are gone.

JA: I believe that there is still a distinction between being immortal
    and being immortalized.  Of course, when it comes to a question
    of the immortal sequence, in the end, there can be only one.

JA: Incidental Musement:

JR: http://www.sff.net/people/jennifer.roberson/hverse.htm

JM: Yes.  But I hope and expect that the database will go in indefinitely.

EP: According to my calculations, the Fibonacci sequence will self-destruct
    by the year 2004, and will no longer work after that time.  The cubes
    will be good until at least 2013, but not the primes, so use them
    while you can.

EP: Most of my work with sequences -- I generate something, and then find
    it is already in the database.  Happened this morning.  "Oh ... njas
    found this last year.  I'll have to look at these references."

EP: Other times, I'll have a sequence generated via dark mathematics,
    and I'll check EIS for a possible match.  Usually, there isn't a match.
    With dark math, the sequence would only be interesting if a match existed.
    It might be interesting to have a section of "junk" sequences, that would
    become interesting only when they matched something else.  Indeed, one
    might argue that all "interesting" sequences are multipurpose.

LE: This is the question of rediscovery and rediscovery rate ...

LE: From chemists - long time ago - I heard that easier to synthetize a new
    organic substance than to find it in existing libraries (databases).
    About 20000000 such substances has already been synthetized
    (I heard and do not believe) and only 63000 seqs in EIS.

LE: Since no well enough organized Index and Classification is now available,
    the most efficient way is to discover through rediscovery.  Obviously with
    significant loss.  However, this game is clear.

LE: The avoidance tactics may be either generalization or specialization,
    as you said. In general both can be "relevant" and irrelevant".
    It depends ...

LE: Now in many fields EIS in its baroque not yet flamboyant rococo phase.
    Darwinian evolution theory says appearence of mutations and also selection.
    But no fight between sequences ... Number theory is more tolerant than Nature.

LE: If its organic development goes on without disturbances
    even the age of Dada may arise.  But how to recognize it?

LE: Concerning fate of Fibonacci anbd others ... Remark this classics:
    "Habent sua fata sequentiae!"

¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤

SeqFans,

In the 1980's I began working on "Adaptive Indexing" programs.
I recognized this as a task involving the inductive learning
of sequences of coded events and I formalized it in terms
of programs for learning "multi-level formal languages".
I eventually integrated this inductive programme with
a strain of work that I was doing on theorem-proving,
a task that clearly must tackle deductive reasoning,
and turned the package into a Master's project,
my "Theme One" program (1989).  This is all
written up in Turbo Pascal, but if there
are any folks in SeqFan who are skilled
in dead languages, the code was written
in a very generic "functional" style,
and might provide a few ideas about