Integer tetrahedra

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Wed May 9 17:37:48 CEST 2001

I'd like to underline what John has said.

When at school I was taught that for any problem
about a tetrahedron, you `put it in a box', i.e.,
draw parallel planes though each pair of opposite
edges, producing a parallel-epi-ped (so spelt
and pronounced).

If the box is rectangular, the diagonals of each
face are equal, so that pairs of opposite edges
are equal and there are only three different
edge-lengths and the faces are congruent.

If, in addition, the box is a square prism,
then the faces are isosceles and I've heard it
referred to as a `tetragonal bisphenoid' ---
was it in chap 5 of Coxeter's 1938 revision
of Rouse Ball's Mathematical Recreations &
Essays? --- in connexion with rotating rings
of tetrahedra?

While on the subject of tetrahedra. I'd like
to advertise a paper about the `orthocentric
tetrahedron' which has several surprising
properties and deserves to be better known:

H. Lob, Math. Gaz., 1935, p.102.

If you can't access that, you might be able to
find

D.E.Rutherford, Vector Methods, Oliver & Boyd,
1939, 1943, pp.13-14,

where the properties are obtained by what I
like to call `wooden vectors' -- the good
old 3-D ones that we taught to engineers --
do they ever use them ?        R.