how EIS treats numbers with leading zeros

Eric W. Weisstein eww at wolfram.com
Tue Apr 30 19:47:43 CEST 2002

Hi, Neil et al.

How does the EIS handle numbers with leading zeros?

For example, look up 5 25 625 0625 90625

--

Matches (up to a limit of 30) found for       5 25 625 0625 90625 :
[It will take a few minutes to search the table (the second and later

I am sorry, but the terms
5, 25, 625, 0625, 90625
do not match anything in the table.

---

However, 5, 25, 625, 625, 90625 is found
(http://www.research.att.com/cgi-bin/access.cgi/as/njas/sequences/eisA.cgi?Anum=007185).
In this case, I think ..., 625, 0625, ... is more correct than 625, 625,
(since the sequence adds one extra digit for each term), so I was
surprised I didn't find it with the original search.

Would the thing to do be to adjust the search algorithm to strip leading
zeros?  Or should EIS actually treat leading 0s as significant (which
would require changing existing sequences)?

Cheers,
-E