Guinness Book of Records??

Ed Pegg edp at wolfram.com
Fri Aug 23 21:29:22 CEST 2002

> > How about "Most referenced mathematical work"

  That would Euler's opus.  After that, perhaps Euclid's Elements.

  The problem with Most-referenced site, or most formulas, or most
cross-references, is that they are easily surpassed by a willingness to be
useless.  No matter which of these records you pick, it would be easy to
script up a website or website that surpassed these records, with
meaningless data.

  aol.com or yahoo.com is likely the biggest website, due to extensive
building by members.

  So far as I know, the OEIS won't even be at
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ next year.  Since the group
wants OIES in a book, published for posterity, is AT&T willing to promise to
host OIES forever?

  I think an attempt to cast OEIS as a record-setter is misguided.  It would
be far more useful to cast OEIS as an *authority* for records ... and as
such, it could be placed within Guinness far more easily, without fear of
competition.

  --Ed Pegg Jr