Guinness Book of Records??

Antti Karttunen karttu at megabaud.fi
Sat Aug 24 01:17:49 CEST 2002

Ed Pegg wrote:

> > > How about "Most referenced mathematical work"
>
>   That would Euler's opus.  After that, perhaps Euclid's Elements.
>
>   The problem with Most-referenced site, or most formulas, or most
> cross-references, is that they are easily surpassed by a willingness to be
> useless.  No matter which of these records you pick, it would be easy to
> script up a website or website that surpassed these records, with
> meaningless data.
>
>   aol.com or yahoo.com is likely the biggest website, due to extensive
> building by members.
>
>   So far as I know, the OEIS won't even be at
> http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ next year.  Since the group
> wants OIES in a book, published for posterity, is AT&T willing to promise to
> host OIES forever?
>
>   I think an attempt to cast OEIS as a record-setter is misguided.  It would
> be far more useful to cast OEIS as an *authority* for records ... and as
> such, it could be placed within Guinness far more easily, without fear of
> competition.

Contains the decimal and continued fraction expansions of
THE MOST FAMOUS TRANSCEDENTAL CONSTANT OF *THE WHOLE COSMOS*, Pi = 3.141592653...

Contains the decimal and continued fraction expansions of
THE SECOND MOST FAMOUS TRANSCEDENTAL CONSTANT OF *THE WHOLE COSMOS*, e = 2.718281828459...

Contains the decimal and continued fraction expansions of
THE THIRD MOST FAMOUS TRANSCEDENTAL CONSTANT OF *THE WHOLE COSMOS*, ...
(No, at this point our knowledge of the level and interests of the extra-terrestrial
mathematicians don't allow to make any assumptions... I'm reminded
of this particular constant appearing in the Chaos theory, not
discovered until recently...)

Terveisin,

Antti