Guinness Book of Records??

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Sun Aug 25 06:43:36 CEST 2002

There is a claim of computing Pi to over 206 billion decimals (see
http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/personal/jborwein/Kanada_200b.html
for details.
The work was done by Yasumasa KANADA and Daisuke TAKAHASHI

Actually they claim 206,158,430,000 decimal digits of Pi.
They claim:

Optimized main program run:
Job start : 18th September 1999 19:00:52 (JST)
Job end : 20th September 1999 08:21:56 (JST)
Elapsed time : 37:21:04
Main memory : 865 GB (= 6.758 GB * 128)
Algorithm : Gauss-Legendre algorithm (Brent-Salamin)

Optimized verification program run:
Job start : 26th June 1999 01:22:50 (JST)
Job end : 27th June 1999 23:30:40 (JST)
Elapsed time : 46:07:10
Main memory : 817 GB (= 6.383 GB * 128)
Algorithm : Borweins' 4-th order convergent algorithm

(Run the algorithm.)

The 19th iterate actually agrees with Pi to more than 750 billion digits.

So it seems that any listing of Pi i n the OEIS pales before this fantastic
computation which you and I cannot even download, and certainly
cannot print on paper.

I think there has to be some other way to make big claims about OEIS.

Decimally,

"H things taken W at a time" Gould