Pi: was Re: Guinness Book of Records??

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Sun Aug 25 06:52:28 CEST 2002

The most important constant in the entire known Universe is the number 1
(one).
Astronomers choose the scale carefully so that the distance from earth to sun
is
exactly  1  astronomical unit. Similarly, in much cosmological research we
take
the speed of light to be 1 unit. You scale things so that the charge of the
electron
is 1, or the Rydberg constant can be said to be 1, or Planck's constant can be
taken
to be 1, or the fundamenal frequency unit can be taken to be 1 Hertz.
There is only empty set (uniqueness). Surely 1 is the most used number. It is
the very first NATURAL number!
So it goes, on and on, and if we dare . . . there is  one god (Adonai echad).
Why don't we admit that pi is  1? . . .  of course then the circumference of
the
circle gets a bit complicated.

All Squared up,

Henry