Frog music (was: The Lambda Point), now hardly related to sequences.

Antti Karttunen karttu at megabaud.fi
Fri Oct 25 09:41:43 CEST 2002

Approaching the lambda point of frogs...

> Antti Karttunen wrote:
> >
> > This might interest you:
> >
> > A short introduction to krystals:
> > http://home.t-online.de/home/j.ingram/krystals.htm

 From which I quote here this piece:

  As a student at the Royal Academy of Music (1968-72), I took part in James
  Ilif's weekly seminars for composers. These were a good place for
  brainstorming...
  At one of these seminars, one of the students brought along a copy of
  WATT 2 by Samuel Becket. This is a funny novel, containing a piece
  of 'music' for three frogs. Here is how it starts:

               Krak!   -     -      -     -      -     -     -
               Krek!   -     -      -     -    Krek!   -     -
               Krik!   -     -    Krik!   -      -   Krik!   -

               Krak!   -     -      -     -      -     -     -
                 -     -   Krek!    -     -      -     -   Krek!
                 -   Krik!   -      -   Krik!    -     -   Krik!

                                      etc.

  The frogs continue to croak at their prescribed intervals (8, 5, 3) until
  they all croak at once (at the 121st time unit).

  We performed this at the seminar, and for a few weeks were occupied with
  variations on this theme...

Just noticed: if you go to Lowell Robinson's "Frog Tracker"
http://netra.exploratorium.edu/frogs/tracker/
and toggle some or all the frogs to sing in chorus,
you will get a similar effect.

Have fun!

-- Antti
(Surely not noise, but signal?)