A062775 / editing needed

Jack Brennen jack at brennen.net
Fri Dec 19 16:53:07 CET 2003

Gottfried Helms wrote:
> This multiplicativeness A(i*j) = A(i)*A(j) is only valid, if gcd(i,j)=1.
> Proposals:
> b) Field: Comment. It is more precise to say:
>    "a(n) is partially multiplicative
>          and for square-free integer i: a(i) = i^2"

Actually, the common definition of a multiplicative function
requires that we already have gcd(i,j)=1, and so the text in the OEIS
was correct to say multiplicative.  (The 'partially' isn't required.)

Note that a function which is multiplicative without the requirement
of gcd()=1 is called Completely Multiplicative.  See Mathworld:

   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MultiplicativeFunction.html
   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CompletelyMultiplicativeFunction.html

  Jack